Saturday, February 26, 2011

Exit Through The Gift Shop


I loved this documentary. I absolutely love looking around at street art everywhere I see it. The whole process of it is so cool and exciting. All of the artists (except Thierry) were so unique and amazing. I thought Thierry Guetta was a complete weirdo. He had a two second attention span and could not stick to one idea. He also was very unoriginal. He took other peoples ideas and attempted to make them his own. I also didn't like how he thought he could just be famous after one show that he basically didn't even do anything for. He hired a bunch of people and ordered them around while he scooted around on his one leg scooter. Banksy was definitely my favorite but he kind of creeped me out during the entire documentary. He was definitely the most talented and creative. I think Thierry should have just stuck to his first hobby filming. He completely deserted his family throughout the whole movie and I do not know how his wife stayed with him. By the end of the documentary I did not like Thierry very much as an artist or as a person. The part that stuck out to me the most was definitely when Thierry and Banksy were at Disneyland. That was not cool to me whatsoever. Why would they do that at a place where there are little kids that could get scared by it. And why did Thierry lie about it just for Banksy. I did not like that at all either. All an all a great documentary. It will definitely make me more aware about spotting street art and appreciating all that goes with it.

2 comments:

  1. Thierry also has an interesting artistic name, Mr. Brainwash. I wonder who came up with that name and why. It's interesting that most of these street artist have nicknames or alter egos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked your take on the whole Disneyland scene. There really isn't a reason to be sending the Guantanamo Bay prisoner message to this place that is filled largely with kids, who probably don't have a clue about that subject. The whole thing seems a little extreme. Maybe I'm wrong about this, but possibly Banksy could of done it there because Disney is a corrupt company in some ways? I'm just giving him the benefit of the doubt because I believe a lot of his art is a true emotional expression to a perception of society and for the fact that he didn't profit off of it for so long only makes my opinion. stronger.

    ReplyDelete